WarMemes

The North Korea Narrative (3 posts)

• Profile picture of Roger Stahl Roger Stahl said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Arnold Wolfe posted a prompt over in Ivory Tower 2.0 about the attention to N. Korea and whether this might constitute the beginnings of an Iraq-style hype-fest, especially in the intense personal and almost psychoanlytic focus on Kim Jong Un. I created this group (WarMemes) to handle this kind of discussion.

Of course, N. Korea has become much more visible lately due to a variety of reasons, the least of which is their recent (and highly unnerving) saber-rattling rhetoric. What other dimensions are hidden within this they-threaten-we-respond frame, though? I’m particularly drawn to the images of N. Korean celebrations, which seem to be settling into Western consciousness where Triumph of the Will had been.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/11/17699545-us-on-missile-watch-as-north-korea-celebrates-kim-dynasty

Seb Kaempf and I were at the International Studies Association in San Francisco when all these nuclear threats were zipping through the newswires. We thought, why isn’t this conference holding an ad-hoc panel of N. Korean experts to get some real perspective on why this is happening? Perhaps we can draw on the collective intelligence here at TVM to shine some light on what has been a pretty opaque affair.

• Profile picture of Arnold Wolfe Arnold Wolfe said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Now that the threat has appeared to vanish, what shall we media scholars, researchers and practitioners think of the U.S. media coverage of the N. Korean “crisis?” Hindsight, of course, is 20-20. But were there any signs anywhere that mainstream U.S. journalism (MUSJ) failed to decode that might have warned it to discount the N. Koreans’ incendiary rhetoric? Or when a nuke power’s elite threatens to nuke you, are the news organizations that you depend on to warn you when you ARE threatened only acting prudently by transmitting the threats? Thoughts, anyone?

• Profile picture of Arnold Wolfe Arnold Wolfe said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Comedian Bill Maher’s got some: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx8lPmrxX3M